By John Morreall,Robert Mankoff
- Offers an enlightening and obtainable foray into the intense enterprise of humor
- Reveals how normal theories of humor fail to give an explanation for its precise nature and truly aid conventional prejudices opposed to humor as being delinquent, irrational, and foolish
- Argues that humor’s advantages overlap considerably with these of philosophy
- Includes a foreword by way of Robert Mankoff, caricature Editor of The New Yorker
Read Online or Download Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics) PDF
Similar aesthetics books
Whatever the material, our reviews are regularly looking for a feeling of the common within the particular. Drawing, etchings and work are a fashion of speaking principles and feelings. the foremost note this is to speak. even if the viewers sees the paintings as exhausting or poetic depends upon the inventive genius of the artist.
Dorothea Olkowski's exploration of the philosophy of Gilles Deleuze clarifies the proficient French thinker's writings for experts and nonspecialists alike. Deleuze, she says, complete the "ruin of representation," the total overthrow of hierarchic, natural inspiration in philosophy, politics, aesthetics, and ethics, in addition to in society at huge.
Around the academy, students are debating the query of what bearing clinical inquiry has upon the arts. the most recent addition to the AFI movie Readers sequence, Cognitive Media thought takes up this question within the context of movie and media reports. This number of essays by way of the world over well-known researchers in movie and media experiences, psychology, and philosophy bargains movie and media students and complicated scholars an advent to modern cognitive media theory—an method of the examine of numerous media varieties and content material that pulls upon either the tools and factors of the sciences and the arts.
Written by means of an skilled drummer and thinker, Groove is a vibrant and interesting learn of 1 of music's so much relevant and comparatively unexplored elements. Tiger C. Roholt explains why grooves, that are solid in music's rhythmic nuances, stay hidden to a couple listeners. He argues that grooves aren't graspable in the course of the mind nor via mere listening; quite, grooves are disclosed via our physically engagement with song.
- Antropología paso a paso (Mundo y Cristianismo) (Spanish Edition)
- Thresholds of Listening: Sound, Technics, Space
- Sinister Resonance: The Mediumship of the Listener
- Lyotard, Literature and the Trauma of the differend
- The Sociology Of Taste
- Routledge Philosophy Guidebook to Aristotle and the Poetics (Routledge Philosophy GuideBooks)
Additional info for Comic Relief: A Comprehensive Philosophy of Humor (New Directions in Aesthetics)