By Roger Myrick
- the dating between homosexual id, language, and power
- cultural stories of the ancient improvement of homosexual identity
- studies in well-being conversation approximately HIV/AIDS and overall healthiness chance communication
- the political effects of public healthiness schooling approximately HIV/AIDS on homosexual men
- the political outcomes of media representations of homosexual identification and its courting to ailment Based totally on the French pupil Michel Foucault’s serious, historic research of discourse and sexuality, this publication takes a well timed and unique procedure which differs from conventional, quantitative communique reports. It examines the connection among language and tradition utilizing a qualitative, cultural reviews process which areas medicalization theories within the broader context of histories of sexuality, the discursive improvement of up to date homosexual id, and up to date public overall healthiness communication.Author Roger Myrick explains how mainstream verbal exchange approximately HIV/AIDS relentlessly stigmatizes and additional marginalizes homosexual id. He describes how nationwide future health schooling stigmatizes teams by way of associating them with photographs of disorder and “otherness.” Even conversation which originates from marginal teams, fairly these counting on federal money, usually participates in linking homosexual identities with ailment. in accordance with Myrick, executive investment, whereas usually priceless for the continuation of community-based overall healthiness campaigns, poses visible and direct regulations on powerful marginal schooling. AIDS, verbal exchange, and Empowerment enables a rethinking of the way marginal teams can take keep an eye on in their personal schooling on public wellbeing and fitness matters. As HIV/AIDS circumstances proceed to upward thrust dramatically between marginalized and disenfranchised teams, research of wellbeing and fitness conversation directed towards them turns into the most important to their survival. This booklet presents worthwhile insights and knowledge for students, execs, readers attracted to the connection between language, energy and marginal identification, and for sessions in homosexual and lesbian experiences, wellbeing and fitness communique, or political communication.
Read or Download AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
The Thai capital Bangkok is the unrivalled centre of the country’s homosexual, lesbian, and transgender groups. those groups are one of the greatest in Southeast Asia, and certainly on the earth, and feature a range, social presence, and ancient intensity that set them except the queer cultures of many neighbouring societies.
For many years, Singapore's homosexual activists have sought equality and justice in a country the place legislations is used to stifle uncomplicated civil and political liberties. In her groundbreaking ebook, Mobilizing homosexual Singapore, Lynette Chua asks, what does a social circulation appear like in an authoritarian kingdom? She takes an expansive view of the homosexual flow to ascertain its emergence, improvement, innovations, and strategies, in addition to the jobs of legislations and rights in social techniques.
Research strong innovations for therapeutic the scars of early sexual abuse in homosexual males! the 1st publication of its variety, homosexual males and early life Sexual Trauma: Integrating the Shattered Self addresses the categorical healing wishes of homosexual males in restoration. All too usually, homosexual males cover their formative years stories of being sexually victimized, as a result of worry, disgrace, and the stigma of stereotypes which equate homosexuality with baby abuse.
This booklet offers new insights in regards to the roles within which LGBTQ contributors give a contribution in society and diverse corporations. The literature is split into sections. part one comprises 3 chapters from greater schooling directors, college and group activists. The chapters proportion own narratives describing the lifestyles studies of these who're usually marginalized inside academia.
- Contemporary Christianity and LGBT Sexualities
- Lesbian Families' Challenges and Means of Resiliency: Implications for Feminist Family Therapy
- Dead Letters Sent: Queer Literary Transmission
- New Choices, New Families: How Lesbians Decide about Motherhood
- Out Proud: Stories of Pride, Courage, and Social Justice
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Expression in Social Work Practice: Working with Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender People
Additional info for AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages